Sunday 21 February 2016

Make-up and Illness:

Fevers, Black eyes, redness, Bruises and Sweat

In this blog I am writing about new different make-up that I have learnt that could be used in my designs for my character. This lesson was about learning how to make in-perfection on a character like; fever, redness in red, tired eyes, sweat, black eye etc. I feel that some aspects of these make-up technique can be appropriate for my character. He is like a mad professor and I would like to use dark tired eyes to highlight stress and worry of his transformation changes to Mr. Hyde and also the redness to the face may express this even further.


Sweat, Tired eye and Redness:

Kits:
- Supercolour
- stipple sponge
- Glycerin
- Thin angled brush
- powder
- Moisturizer
- old brushes 

To start this Make-up look you have to make sure that the face is clean therefore I started with a clean face and moisturized it. Then by mapping out the areas of the face that would become red when tired e.g. apples of the cheeks, tip of nose, top of the ears and forehead and using a stipple sponge and red supercolour I stippled it on these areas of the face. Next to create a tired eye I blended out a tiny bit of black supercolour in the corner of the eye and then blended out different shades of red around the eye (can use eye-shadows if prefer). Also if the product is quite thick and does not blend out you can use the moisturizer to blend it out and to look more realistic or even put Vaseline around the eye to make it appear more swollen. I also used a small detail brush and used light red and blue supercolour to draw on little vain line under the eye to make it look more tired and irritated under the eye. To finish off the fever look I wanted to make my model look like she was over-heating I wanted to create sweat and a runny nose, therefore I used glycerin medicine (which is great for the skin). This product is clear but also quite thick so it stays on the skin and is great to create realistic sweat. I place the glycerin (with a stipple sponge) around the sides of the forehead and also pushed it back into the hairline and then put some under the nose to create a runny nose. 


Black Eye and Bruises:

To create the bruised eye and a bruised arm you will use the same tools and product but in slightly different ways.  To start with the base I took the yellow from the supercolour pallet and then a little green made dapped this all around the arm area and below the eye. This makes the bruise look a bit older.  I then used colours like;  dark and light red, purple, brown etc. This method has no instructions I would recommend to follow an example of a real bruise and copy the colour to try and achieve the most realistic look.  











Other Ideas:

- To create a different kind of fever like the red skin you can add to this by flicking different shades of red supercolour mixed with alcohol on the skin. This kind of look will make it appear more rash like and irritated on the skin.

- Could consider the whole body the hand and upper body. Could have a fever growing up the body, cuts, bruises etc. 

- Can add eye drops to make eyes look watery and either use a red eye pencil in the water line to create a irritated eye. 

- For chapped lips you can get your model to screw up their lips and put latex over them and wit till it drys. When drys this would make the lips appear cracked and for extra you could add a little bit of blood to make them look like they are bleeding.    


Reflect:

To reflect over the whole look I would really like to use the redness under the eyes to express my characters stress. I really like the idea of the stress veins as well to further add to the pressure and strain of the character. I may use the glycerin to create sweat but I am unsure on what to create. I will show this later in my designs for my character as I would like to create something that represents growth and change. 


  




   

No comments:

Post a Comment