Saturday 19 March 2016

Final Outcome Exam

Final Exam : Continuity

In this blog post I will be writing about my continuity exam. Throughout this whole unit I have studied the novel 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde' and the Gothic horror genre to produce a better understanding of the genre. The reasons behind this have lead up to this exam based on 'Continuity'. We have to learn this important technique as it a great skill for any make-up artist to have especially in film or TV. Continuity, means to be continuous within your word making sure every detail is the same. For example if a TV programme was filmed over a period of two days but it was the same scene a make-up artist would have to make sure all the make-up has to look exactly the same to make the programme believable to the viewer. 


To start the exam I made sure I had all my preparation ready therefore I wrote out my kit list and process to remind myself and brought practice picture but in the second exam I brought the pictures from the first exam so I could copy my techniques and get the look exactly right. 

Kit List:

Make-up:



- Alcohol Activated pallet

- 'Coastal Scents' eye shadow pallet
- SuperColour Pallet
- 99% Alcohol
- Latex
- Vaseline
- 'Simple' Moisturizer
- Stipple Sponges
- Illamaqua loos finishing powder
- Powder brush
- Flat eye shadow brush
- Buffing brush
- Thin paint brush
- Foundation Brush
- 'MAC' Foundation (semi dark)
- Hair Dryer

Hair:

- Bobby grips
- Hair spray
- Dry Shampoo
- Pin tale comb
- Paddle Brush
- Hair Curlers








Practice One: 

During the first exam as explained in another blog I wanted to portray a infected look on my models face as to represent the struggle of my character Dr.Jekyll as he has to keep the secret that he is transforming himself into another evil self Mr.Hyde. The veins are meant to represent many aspects of my novel and the character within them. Veins are within everyone and can appear on the surface of the skin like the evil (Mr.Hyde) as evil is within everyone but can appear on our outside as well. I chose the veins to be shown as growing up the face to highlight them as being out of control which would represent the scene in the novel where Dr.Jekyll has to take his life as he now has no control on when Mr.Hyde will take over his body. Therefore shown within my hair style I wanted to show this stress through greying hair. Overall, my look is meant to show my characters struggle and what he has to overcome. 

The process of the exam I started by applying the liquid latex to my models forehead while I head my model pull at his skin to therefore create wrinkle when the latex was dry. I started to dry my models skin with a cool setting until the latex went clear. However, when my product had dried it was creating bumps and bits of white lumps where left on the forehead of the product that would not dry. Therefore I decided to not include this part of my design as the product was not working and I did not want to loose time for the other parts of my design. To prevent this from happening again I would buy a higher quality product of latex as this was very cheap and not a very good quality. 

Carrying on I started with the hair as I needed my curls to set. I starting by brushing through my models hair and then using the pin-tail comb I sectioned the left side of my model hair creating a low parting on one side. I wanted to part of the hair to be slicked back and I did this by pulling back the hair and pinning it in and then hair spraying it for extra security. Using the other section of the hair I wanted to create a layers of hair and I did this using the 'brick method' (shown in picture). I created them by sectioning the front of the hair into one and curling it with a hot tong, down towards the head and pinning it into place. I carried on with the same method, following the 'brick method' and pinning all the curls into place. With the bottom of the hair (around the neck) that was too short to curl I curled all these parts of the hair creating a swoop at the neckline. To finish off I left to set and hair sprayed the whole head while I started the make-up.

 By starting the make-up I started with the main aspect of my look and most complex part. By using my alcohol activated pallet I used a sponge (that had small chunks taken out of it for texture) I stippled the yellow colour from the bottom of the neck on left side of my models face and up towards the forehead. I had to do quite a threw layer of this colour to build up a yellow tinge to this part of my models face as his skin tone is quite tanned. I then added the green colour over the top of the yellow in a random motion and then the red which gives the look more demetions and then finally blue mainly around the red areas to look more bruised. using a thin paint brush I added in veins using the mix of red and a little black and also a mix of grey. I found that some of the veins were quite thick therefore I would blend them in by rubbing a bit of the 99% alcohol on top. To finish the make-up I then took the 'supercolour pallet' with the light and dark red colours to create stressed/tired eyes. I first took the light red colour and put this in the corner of each eyes (where the eye bags would be) and blended this out with my finger and then slightly over lapping this I took the dark red and blended this in as well. As I found the colour was quite thick I blended it out more by using Vaseline. I did find by working around may models eyes quite difficult as he was not very comfortable with people applying make-up around his eyes.  - (always add the 99% alcohol to each colour to activate the colour). 

Finishing the look I went back to the hair as the curls would have set and took the pins out to reveal the layers of curls. I then took some dry shampoo and sprayed this all over the hair and then brushing it through to create the age, grey hair. 

First Exam Pictures:































 Second Exam Pictures: 



















Reflect:

Overall, I am very please how the exams went. I did experience some difficulties like my latex that did not dry properly that I have to un- include in my design but I believe that I handled the situation very well and just carried on with my design and adapted it to work. In the second round of picture I would say that I put a bit more of the dry shampoo then the first design and I needed to curl the bottom of the hair more. However, these are the only faults that I would improve on when looking back on my efforts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment