Friday 11 March 2016

Practice For final Design:

Practice of Final Design

For my final design I decided to choose my third design shown in my 'Make-up Designs' blog as in this description and design I felt that it was the most approaite design to represent my novel. The design represented the idea of growth in a way that could make it the most realistic version. The veins highlighted the connection between human emotions and connected it to a realistic view because veins are inside everyone just like a small amount of evil and in this novel evil is brought to the surface therefore I thought that veins would represents this evils growth. In term of continuity the design could be seen as a challenge as it may prove difficult to create all the blends of colours together and to get each and every veins exactly the same. However, comparing it to the other design I felt it gave the best feel of realism within the fiction but also is the easiest to replicate due to its structure. The other designs show a complex of structure e.g. in my second design I would have to create the exact right height, width and shape of each vein compared to my last design where I would only have to map out each vein by looking at a previous picture. To continue from these blogs I am going to write about my practice in my design and how I feel the process went.


 Kit List:

Make-up:


- Alcohol Activated pallet
- 'Coastal Scents' eye shadow pallet
- SuperColour Pallet
- 99% Alcohol
- Latex
- Vaseline
- 'Simple' Moisturizer
- Stipple Sponges
- Illamaqua loos finishing powder
- Powder brush
- Flat eye shadow brush
- Buffing brush
- Thin paint brush
- Foundation Brush
- 'MAC' Foundation (semi dark)
- Hair Dryer

Hair:

- Bobby grips
- Hair spray
- Dry Shampoo
- Pin tale comb
- Paddle Brush
- Hair Curlers

Hair Practice:

For my chosen hair design I have based the design on the Victorian era as this is when my novel was written making it relevant to the novel. Men in the Victorian era began to start looking after themselves as this became the social norm to do. Most men would wear their hair in low side partings and sometimes curl the tops. Other options for men where to grow facial hair that they would style or shape and even wear accessories or top hats. As my character Dr.Jekyll was seen as a higher status of character due to his profession of science I thought a high groomed look would suit him the best over all.
To start this hair design I first started by brushing through my models hair to get rid of any knots. Moving on to create the low side parting, by using the pin-tail comb I created a straight parting which started from the lower side of the forehead. As most Victorian men would wear one side of the hair slicked back I wanted to create this look as well. Using the pin-tail comb again I slicked back the hair tight and while holding it back I sprayed a lot of hairspray over this area of hair to hold all the hair back. To help give this part of the hair more hold I put in a bobby pin in a zig-zag motion which holds the hair tighter in place.
To continue this look I started working on the other side of my models head. I wanted to created the Victorian waves for the male hairstyle. Men in this era did not have tight waves like the women but more loose curls which gave the appearance of thick and layered hair. I used the 'Brick Method' on my models hair to create these layers which is shown in the diagram above. I created this by using hot curling tongs and by taking one session of hair at the front I curl this back into the head and pinned into place to set the curl. I continue this down the head following the diagram, sectioning into two curl then three, pinning these all in to set while I continue to do the make-up.
 




Make-up:

While the hair is being set into place I started on the make-up on this look which is inspired the the theme of growth and evil shown in the design below. To start this design on my model I made sure to clean the skin and then I added on my simply moisturizer therefore prepping the skin ready to start the make-up. I wanted to do the base of the skin first therefore I produced the old age stipple technique on my model. I was producing this technique on the forehead and by the corners of each of the eyes and to start this look I dipped a stipple sponge into the latex while having my model pull his skin on his forehead while I stippled the product on. While having my model still pulling his skin I dried the product on a low heat with the hair dryer therefore when the product goes clear it creates a wrinkled look. I then continued this look onto the sides of each eye and did the same process as the forehead. After completing all the sections of latex I then went and powered them with the illamaqua loose powder to take away any shine, then to continue by applying the MAC foundation over the top to blend in with the natural skin making it more realistic. I then started on the main element of the face using my alcohol activated pallet and stipple sponges. I followed a technique of a 'Youtube' video that I have linked in another blog called 'Zombie Bite Make-up Tutorial|Special FX Series'. Therefore by using this as inspiration I started on the look and as this is an alcohol activated pallet you have to add alcohol to each colour every time you want to use a colour. Taking the sponge I applied a yellow colour over half of my models face making it look faded into the skin and the other half of the face. I had to build up this base colour of yellow quite a lot as my model has more tanned skin making it harder to appear on the skin but as this became to the consistency that I like I then applied a light green colour on top of this which would make the skin appear more bruised underneath the other colours that I would apply later on. I then applied the dark red colour which brought the colours and effect to life as it really contrasted against the yellow and green. After getting the right amount that I believed was suitable for the look I lastly added a little bit of blue around the edges of some of the red to add to that bruised effect. To finish the growth look and pull it all together I mixed together the dark red and a little of black and painted on with a thin detailed paint brush the veins, I also did this with a grey colour to give a mixture of veins as all veins are not the same colour. As applying the veins if I applied them to thick to the skin I went and smudge with my finger the 99% alcohol as this blended out the colour making it appear as if the colours sat underneath the skin just like real veins would. The final steps to finish the make-up where the red, distressed eyes. Taking the light red colour from the supercolour pallet using the small eye shadow brush I applied this to the corner of each eye and blended it out with my finger. I then applied the darker red/purple colour besides both these red colours making the eyes appear tired and red. To finish off this look entirely I use a little bit of Vaseline and used this to blend out the colour making the colour sit more under the skin rather than on top.   



Hair:

Referring back to the hair I went back and took out all the hair pins as the hair would have set. I then hair sprayed all over the head to make the curls stay in longer and to finally finish off the look I sprayed dry shampoo all over the hair which created a slighty grey look and texture within the hair. 


No comments:

Post a Comment